Monday, August 6, 2012

All the panels are now stripped.

Today I finished stripping all the parts and paint from the doors which finish all the panels except the bonnet. I have another bonnet which is already stripped, I only need to pick it up.
Its taken a couple of weeks to get the panels ready and I can say with conviction I'm glad that its over! I have worn out 5 wire wheels, 40- 4 inch sanding pads and used 8 litres of paint stripper. I also wore the same trousers and jumper for the paint stripping part (I kept them outside) and they will go straight into the bin.
I have 7 panels to go to the panel beater for minor repairs and some welding. Including the 4 doors (for some minor welding), front and rear left guards and the rear panel.
The photos below show one of the rear doors being stripped from start to finished in bare metal. It will be rust converted today and the inside treated with POR15 tonight and etch coated tomorrow.

 Ready for the first layer of paint stripper.
 Some sections are crazing but most of the paint just softens. 
 First layer of stripper and paint removed, ready for another layer of stripper.
 All paint removed, now to turn it over for the difficult side.
Note the small rust holes to be welded up.
Rear doors in etch primer waiting some minor repairs.
After a couple of weeks of paint stripping, these clothes are destined for the bin!

No comments:

Post a Comment