Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Completing the boot area.

I received a quote to have the shell soda blasted- $2,400.00, needless to say I have begun paint stripping. Its difficult work using a combination of paint stripper, scrapers, wire brushes, grinders and a rotary wire brush in an electric drill. It is effective but messy. I have removed all the paint and seam sealer from the boot and with the POR 15 system I used the Marine Clean to clean the metal, Metal Ready to convert the rusty bits and then the Hammer Tough rust paint. This system will stop any water that might get into the boot rusting the metal. I will use the same system an any parts of the body that have panels bolting to it. When the first coat is dry I will renew all the seam sealer and give it another coat. Then some red brown primer on the rest of the bare metal.

 Most of the paint stripped out of the boot.
 The streaks seen here is the Metal Ready rust converter at work.
POR 15 rust paint, 1st coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment