Friday, April 6, 2012

Welding up front.

My old SIP mig decided it was time to retire so I needed to buy a new one. I researched what was available around town and settled on a Ross 150 amp which will do both gas and gasless. I spent much of the morning welding the rust across the front. It was basically below both main headlights. I replaced 2 sections with new metal and chased the pin holes across the panel. Most of the small holes I did the 2 cent thing, placing a 2 cent coin behind the hole and then welding as can be seen in the photos. If the coin is placed tight up to the metal you get a reasonable finish behind but still requires grinding. I removed all the drip check sealer from around the front to reveal some surface rust underneath. I will treat the whole boot area with POR-15 so it won't rust again if it gets wet.
It looks like I have been able to get hold of some good second hand panels to replace the rusty one I have including the rear light panel and bonnet. I have also got hold of a new to me oil cooler and a lot of other smaller parts as well.
 Welding up the pin holes in the front panel.
 This was the biggest rust section RH front.
 From the inside showing the 2 cent coin in place for welding.
With the coin removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment