Saturday, July 21, 2012

The most frustrating job so far!

With the arrival of more parts yesterday I decided to install the heater hoses and fan. This is by far the most frustrating job on the car so far. It would have been much easier to put the hoses in without the suspension and steering in place and the car still on its side. I eventually got the hoses in place and found while fitting the heater fan body there was not sufficient room to fit it with modern hose clamps in place. Some modification of the fan body was required.
The control section where the cables connect to the temperature and flap controls was never designed to last for over 40 years and it has broken where the cables clamp down. I removed the broken pieces and repaired them with Araldite. I hope they will work OK when installed.
I've been stripping all the body panels and a couple of the bad ones will be taken to my panel beater for repairs. As paint stripper doesn't work well (if at all) on enamel paints most of the stripping is done by a rotary sander and finished by hand. Dirty and dusty work.
I hope to have some painted panels on the car in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment